The Orchestra is an affiliate of the Country Dance and Song Society
The Orchestra has a Facebook page–so orchestra members can post photos, comments, information about other musical events in the Valley, and share information easily with friends.
Notes — Backup Tracks–fbbts.com — website of free backup tracks, fun for practice. Julia Plumb’s website — If you aren’t familiar with her or her website you should really check it out https://freefiddlelessons.com/ She’s a fantastic fiddler and great music educator. She also plays with Baron Collins-Hill — His website http://www.mandolessons.com/ is a tremendous resource.
Other opportunities to play music
- Quebecois Sessions at the Rendezvous in Turners Falls–Friendly welcoming sessions, Second Sundays, 3:00-6:00. More information on Facebook.
- Various Monthly Sessions at McNeill’s Brewery in Brattleboro
- Lower Valley Irish Slow Session A twice-monthly Irish tune-learning session in Holyoke, MA
- Fiddler’s Green Contra Dance in South Amherst A very welcoming dance that is also an opportunity for musicians who want to learn more about traditional dance music. Musicians of all levels are welcome to take a seat onstage and join in. For information call 413-461-0445. You can also find Fiddler’s Green on Facebook.
- Shelburne Falls Session – at McCusker’s Market on the first and third Sundays of each month, 10:30a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Contact Deborah Stevens for more information (or talk with her at a FOWM rehearsal)
- Open Sessions at the Root Cellar in Greenfield (10 Fiske Avenue) second and fourth Saturdays of the month from 3-6pm — NE contra, Old Time, Irish, Scottish…… Contact FOWM member Desi Lowit for more information.
- Parlor Room Sessions (in Northampton) usually held January and February of each year. Sunday evening music followed by jamming with the band.
- Fiddle Hell – one weekend a year in November, hundreds of workshops for all levels, held in Westford, MA.
- Northern Roots Traditional Music Festival in Brattleboro, Vermont, held one weekend a year in January. Keith Murphy, Director. At the Brattleboro Music Center. This celebration brings together local and regional musicians representing the best of various northern musical traditions.
- Annual Montague May Day Celebration – Ask Annika what that’s about!
- Old Post Road Orchestra – An orchestral group based in Wilbraham, MA. You can also find them on Facebook
- Arcadia Traditional Music Festival – held in June at the College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor, Maine
- Boston Harbor Scottish Fiddle School – a week in August
- Maine Fiddle Camp – June and August Camp – weeks and weekends
- Music Camps North – Mandolin and Banjo camps held in April and May in Charlton, Massachusetts
- Northeast Heritage Music Camp – five days in June, in Starksboro, Vermont